Monday, June 23, 2008
Naptime Confessions
More often than not, this is how Annika takes her nap these days. That is, when she takes one. Naps have been on-again-off-again around here for the last many months. Basically, when Annika turned two, it became harder to get her to nap. I went back and forth between trying to force the issue and letting it go. Forcing the issue (like reading a bazillion books, rubbing her, and finally pinning her down to make her lie still when she just couldn't relax) often just meant lots of frustration and wasted time for me--and my frustration about it certainly didn't help her to have positive feelings about naps. We had a phase for quite a while where, if all else failed and I really needed her to nap for my sanity or so I could nap, I would drive her in the car until she conked out. (We do still time outings to work in our favor this way when we can). I also tried to implement a mandatory rest time, where she had to at least stay in her room by herself for awhile, but that didn't really work for us.
Several weeks ago, I somehow got the idea to let her rest on the couch. I turned on PBS, which was airing Thomas the Train, left for a half hour to do some things on the computer, came back, and found her snoozing (if you've ever seen Thomas the Train, you can see why it would be a great show to fall asleep to).
Before parenting this high needs two-year-old, I'm sure I would have thought TV-induced napping was a bad habit to encourage. I don't think I intended to make use of TV at all at this age, back before I had an actual kid. But now? It's a no-brainer for me. I get a break, she gets a nap, and she even learns a few things from PBS Kids shows. We still often start out by reading books on her bed and trying to settle her down that way, but if that isn't working she moves to the couch. Even if she doesn't sleep, I at least get a break. And with another baby in the picture, I'll be glad for a way that Annika can settle down by herself.
She still doesn't get a nap every day, which is okay, because this child really doesn't need a lot of sleep. Today, unless I wake her up soon, she'll be up until 11 p.m. (and then sleep until 7 or 8). Seriously. If we skip the nap, we can have her to sleep by 8 (though she might wake in the night). Seeing that I'll be up late with her tonight, I should log off and catch some rest myself!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yes, behold the power of PBS. Mei pretty much stopped napping at age two. And now sleeps at chinese preschool everyday--but does not go to bed until 10 PM. Driving me nuts. She actually napped a bit when Asa was born I think all the excitement or something!
Hi! This is my first time posting a comment here, hope its ok. I'm Melissa's friend, and there's a link to your blog on her's (mine is a link too...)
Anyway, I feel your pain, girl. Naps were a struggle at our house for a long while. Frustrating to say the very least. I gave up last summer when the boys were newly 3 and 4. And I have to say, life is much better since. Like Annika, neither of them need much sleep (why!? oh why can't you just SLEEP!? that's me asking them, as if they might come up with a satisfactory answer - HA!)...But anyway - the bonus - without the naps - they go to be around 7:30, are up at about 7 and we're all better rested.
Btw, congrats on expecting! You can bet I'll be checking your blog often to catch the first photos of your new addition! :-)
Post a Comment